Images by Lili Scratchy
Homework Assignment #3 (NEW!)
Hello, hello! Since last weeks homework was fairly easy, this weeks is going to be a more challenging. Please note that this homework has 2 parts! A and B. This is not a choose which one assignment, but a 'please do both' assignment. Part A really shouldn't be very time consuming though, and really it should be an overall good time!
1) Go to the library downtown (preferably, or the closest one to you) and spend at least (!) half an hour in the kids book section.
2) Check out at least 3 books you love. Closely look at them and study the illustrations. Try to figure out what it is that makes you love this particular book so much.
3) Look up the illustrators online.
4) Note the publisher of the books and the publishing date
Make at least 10 illustration SKETCHES for the following text. And pick one of the sketches and turn it into a FINAL illustration!
I Don't Want to Travel (by Emmanuelle Houdart)
I Don't Want to Travel
Except in the hand of a giant
Except on a witch's broomstick
Except in the jaws of a wolf
Except in a bottle of raspberry syrup
Except on the back of my tortoise
Except with my catfish
Except by the light of the moon
Except under the sea
Except with my favorite book.
You can choose any size of paper you'd like, and any medium you'd like to use. Think of this assignment as if you were asked to provide a full set of sketches for a short story called 'I Don't Want to Travel', that is going to be published as a picture book. Since this is your first time making a series of images fit together coherently in combination with text, this does NOT have to be 32 pages. It does have to be at least 10 pages. Please don't spend a lot of time refining your images since they are only to be SKETCHES for final images. Here are the specs for the assignment in bullet form.
-At least 10 pages (loose,single sided, please don't staple yet), you can make it longer if you want
-Any format or size you want (but you have to be able to bring them into class obviously)
-Incorporate the text into the images, because this text is short I'd like you write it on the page and think of where you're placing it.
-Try to keep it loose and do what feels right. We will be talking more about how to go about this in our next class.
- Please bring at one of the picture books you got from the library along with your 1Final illustration and 10 sketches to Class.