Sunday, May 15, 2011

Warja Honegger Lavater



So the other day I happened to swing by MacLeod's Books that I had just mentioned in my last post, and amongst finding a great little 'Small Beer' by Ludwig Bemelmans and another fantastic little book, I also found the mother of all versions of 'The Ugly Duckling' by Waria Honegger Lavater. When I saw it in the case I was immediately drawn to it because it promised to be an interesting take on the story right away due to it's abstract cover. I asked to take a look and ... Amazing! The artist has developed a visual, symbolic code for the various characters and scenery in the book. There is a guide at in the front of the book that one can use to help reinterpret the story. Fantastic idea. And to make it even better, the accordion style book can be hung from the wall , thus functioning as both book and wall art simultaneously. Some people are just so clever. ... Of course this copy was about 100$, so alas I did not pick it up, however, should you have the cash on hand to do so, you know where to get it. Might really be worth it.

Here is a picture of the cover I took. So unique.

No comments:

Post a Comment