Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Art History with BARBAR


In the last few months especially I've been finding myself going back to those Art History Books of mine and looking at some of the great classics. Because of this I was even more excited when I found this. There are 70 versions of classic paintings and drawings that Barbar creator Laurent de Brunhoff made. Of course they all featuring characters from Barbar instead of boring people. How great is that?

Here is a couple of them along with the originals they're based on.



I wish that this show would come to Vancouver or Seattle sometime so that I could go and see it. That would be a seriously fun and funny show! In the meantime though I'm pretty excited to go see Matisse at the VAG soon though. Haven't been to the Vancouver Art Gallery for a while. I think it's time again. ;)



4 comments:

  1. hi lisa,
    i heart picture books too, + this reminds me how i'd love to spend more time in them!! i just looked at your sketchbook blog + LOVED it! i was especially taken w/how you look when talking to your mom/i relate!
    SO special to visit/find you.
    xo rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Rachel! Thanks for all the nice words! Glad you're liking this blog and my sketch blog. Yeah, mom's are a very special category in terms of what happens when you draw. I actually just wrote a blog entry on me drawing WITH my mom when I was little on this blog here.

      http://drawmealion.blogspot.ca/2012/05/thinking-about-mom.html

      Maybe you'll be able to relate to this one as well.
      ;)
      xo
      lisa

      Delete
  2. Oh wow! This looks fab! I love how in the second one the flowers even look sensual in the original but are fun and vibrant in the Babar version. Those details make it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! Laurent de Brunhoff was amazing! I really do wish this show would travel over here to Vancouver. Glad you like the post! :)

      Sorry it's taking me so long to reply but I am still not really used to people actually commenting on pots. Hah! Maybe I should get used to it.
      Hope you like the next post too.
      :)
      lisa

      Delete